In Need of New Light

It’s been over two years since we moved into our new home and still the list of projects seems never ending.  Sure, we’ve made some serious progress checking things off, but there are so many little touches we’d like to tackle that when pulled into a list look they look anything but little.  I recently went through my “Master House List of Projects, (Side note: Doesn’t that sound like a fun list?! Imagine it’s Saturday morning and you are relaxing on the couch with your first cup of coffee, when up out of nowhere I pop up with my MASTER LIST, including estimated costs and time lines.  Yup.  I’m that girl.  Thank goodness Floyd finds it somewhat amusing.  What? I at least let him have coffee first.  Geesh.)

Anyway, on my MASTER LIST (this must always be said with a booming enthusiastic voice) has been to replace the lighting fixture in our dining area.  It’s a sun-filled room where we eat all our meals and you can see it pretty clearly in this video.  From Day 1 I’ve hated the lighting in this room.  It feels like you are being interrogated while eating your meal, with the big bulb staring down at you.  It’s definitely not how you want your dinner guests to feel while visiting.  So, it’s time to take action!  I know I want a light that can be set to a dimmer.  I love having brighter light while doing projects or playing games, but also a lower one when enjoying a nice meal with candles.  I’d also like it to add a little something to the space.  When we added a large light fixture in our kitchen, it completely transformed the space.  Also, not feeling like I’m going to be put in the slammer at any minute would be a nice bonus.

Here are a few I’ve found that just might fit the bill…

Z Gallerie Eclipse Light

The Eclipse light from Z Gallerie might have just enough edge without being over the top.

Serena and Lily Capiz Chandelier

A capiz tile chandelier from Serena & Lily could bring a sense of fun to the space.

Restoration Hardware Drum Pendant

Two tiers on this Restoration Hardware pendant give it a little pizazz and would work well with our high ceiling.

Which one do you like best?  And I’m the only one out there who has crazy lists like the MASTER LIST?

Megan

Comments

I have such a list too Megan and there is something about being pregnant which is making me want to hit that list hard too!!
    We added a fixture to our dining room which is just not right and it always bugs me when I go into the space. I adore the second fixture you showed and think it would work well, a dimmer is certainly I must have too.
    xx

2. Ashley says

I like the look and feel of the second one most. If your dining room still looks like it did in the video then this would go with the room quite well. Plus, I think it would look the best when you dim the lights, like a subtle glow.
    And no, you are not the only one with a MASTER LIST… lol. I have an entire binder dedicated to my budget and current finances, complete with a MASTER BUDGET LIST. Ha ha ha ha. I also have cleaning, schedule, career, and future plans lists. Yes, I am a joy to live with :)
    Good luck on all of your home design tasks. You love it when it all comes together.

-Ashley
    Wonderful in Progress

@Ashley, ohh you are giving my list topic ideas, this could get dangerous, ha!

its crazy how the list of projects seems to grow NOT shrink? We have been in our home for two years as well…and it was a brand new build…BUT still SO many projects…painting, decorating…and the outside yard work…I feel like it is another house out there, lol.
    C

Ok I like the 1st and 3rd one best. And no…I have lists…I call them “punch lists” like they do for construction…I have a work punch list, one for things to do for baby, one for things in the house…yeah I love my lists. :)

Omg these light fixtures are so cool! I especially love the first one. And its funny about the interrogation feeling you mentioned. I have the same problem in my living room with the actual lighting itself. It shines in such an offensive manner and in such an odd color, I always feel like I should be spilling my guts on an episode of Criminal Minds or something. :P

And I love that you have a list. When you’re a homeowner, you NEED the list! I know my parents have one. And I intend on having one when I purchase a house. It seems the only way to stay sane!!

@Jennifer Fabulous, you may be able to switch out the bulbs pretty cheaply which might help? Don’t you just hate that feeling?!

I wish I could see the actual set-up as far as the ceiling is concerned (didn’t see the set-up in the video), but I think I’d go with the two-tier model plus additional lighting on the walls, like one in the corner and a skinnier set-up between the windows.

@Cameron, I like the idea of something additional, great thinking! And I will definitely post pics of the room with ceiling next time. Its pretty high!