Project Runway Recap and Interview with the Eliminated Designer…SPOILER Alert

Welcome to our first Project Runway dish sesh! In case you missed our big announcement on Friday, each week we will be posting a recap of the previous week’s episode and an interview with the eliminated designer for Lifetime Moms!

SPOILER ALERT…stop reading if you haven’t yet watched last week’s episode!

project runway

Ok, let’s get to it…Last week’s challenge involved a trip to Petland. The designers were asked to create runway ready looks from whatever they could find in Petland, with the warning that using materials that the judges deemed too conventional could hurt them.

Some heeded this warning and others did not. Episode one’s winner, Burt, took full advantage of his immunity and phoned in his simplistic LBD. Meanwhile, Bryce used a plethora of wee wee pads and didn’t do much to camouflage the fact that his material of choice was something for a dog to do his business on. Joshua C. created a belted halter and mini skirt from an umbrella and dog bedding among other things.

project runway

Some of the designers completely rose to the challenge and sent incredible looks down the runway. Anthony’s modern little birdseed mini dress was totally something I could see a starlet rockin’! Olivier’s ombre skirt created from hamster bedding was simply divine. And while it’s true that Joshua C. also used pet bedding and was taken to task for it, his performance in episode one seemed to seal his fate.

project runway

In the end, Olivier walked away with the prize and Joshua C. was sent home. His use of what the judges’ thought were too conventional materials in too traditional shapes was his downfall.

joshua christensen

I had a chance to chat with Joshua Christensen last week and I must say, he’s a total doll! When asked whether he felt like he was singled out regarding the use of conventional materials, he said he did indeed feel like there were other people who also used conventional materials. He interpreted the challenge as using any material that could be found in the store. He believes that his performance in the first challenge is what painted a target on him.

Now that his time on Project Runway has come to an end, I wanted to know how he felt about the remaining designers. I asked him who he thought could go all the way… “One of the strongest voices is Joshua M. He has a unique point of view and he’s such a fun, explosive character,” said Joshua.

When I questioned whether he felt like the looks he presented were an accurate reflection of his aesthetic, he responded by saying that he aims to create “innovative, but wearable pieces.” High fashion isn’t necessarily his focus, but instead his goal is to make real consumers feel comfortable in his creations. Luckily, Joshua’s fans won’t have to wait long to see more from him. He’s already hard at work on a new menswear collection!

Until next week lovelies…Be sure to leave any questions you would like answered by the next Project Runway eliminated designer in your comments. I just may ask yours!

heidi klum

Oh, and one last thing before I head out…Can we talk about how amazing Heidi looked? Violet is totally her color no?

Comments

I was really disappointed with Burt. I know he had immunity, but I would have thought that would make him work even harder to earn it again. Loved the birdseed dress!!! That was my favorite. I’m enjoying the season so far!

You are amazing! I cannot wait to continue reading your recaps and full interviews! PR is my favorite reality tv show. and as far as I’m concerned Heidi can do no wrong. she looks BEYOND in this color with those red lips. LOVE.

Love the recap and Heidi does look unusually incredible in that color…I kind of wish she was wearing a more purple/rose based lipstick tho.
    but that is TOTALLY nitpicking…she is obviously STUNNING in that dress!

Loved last weeks episode! The bird seed dress is amazing! The little time he made that in is amazing. Definitely talented. Can’t wait till this week’s episode!

OH MY GOD! What an amazing feature you have here! I’m so jealous of your Project Runway hook-up! And yes, I swear Heidi just gets better and better with age!

6. Alexandra keller says

I’m actually surprised at the winner and wish Heidi’s fav (and mine), the birdseed dress, had won.

It was my fave too!

Okay, I’m still not caught up but I might be following PR just through you this season! I can’t seem to find time to sit down and watch! Anyway, that dress was made of BIRDSEED? Holy amazing-ness!

WOW…Petland rather than Mood fabrics? This was definitely a tall order and quite a challenge so early in the game! These poor designers never get much time to shop around as it is so I think they’ve done a great job! As for Heidi…ok if that dress was made from Petland Materials that would seriously make great convo but I highly doubt it ;) and yes, she looks smashing in violet!

Hi girls!

Ohh Heidi always look FAB ! As a (soon to be) fashion design student. I LOVE to see what the designers create and great article !!!

Hope everyone has a great summer !!! xoxo

That birdseed dress was amazing!! I loved the collar and the way the bird seeds were arranged. And the dog bed top was nice too. I love Project Runway! I’m so glad you did this series, because when you started talking about it it made me remember to set my DVR!

Great gig, gals!! Excited that you’ll be blogging about this! Right now I’m loving Oliver and his designs (and ok, his quirky cool accent!!)

He DOES have the cutest accent doesn’t her? : )

12. Pami says

I totally think the birdseed dress was off the chain. You talk about a great imagination. I think he should have won the challenge. The dog bed fabric top tht won was.. just that.. fabric. The same thing that they ragged about the guy they kicked off the show for using. I agree with Heidi, it’s birdseed for me!

13. mkeller819 says

I loved the birdseed dress much more than that dog bed thing that Oliver made. The top just looked really ill-fitting. I don’t know what Nina like about it. I agree that the skirt was nice, but as a whole, I just didn’t get it. Heidi needs to be a little more vocal about her choice of winner. If she does that, we hopefully won’t have another Gretchen/Mondo fiasco!