Project Runway Eliminated Designer Interview

project runway

So, as those of you who watched last week’s episode of Project Runway know, Danielle was eliminated. Am I the only one who was a bit surprised?

project runway

Well, apparently I’m not actually. When Danielle was asked how she felt about being eliminated she said, “When I went into the show, I wanted to go in without any sort of expectations. I had the mindset that anything can happen. It’s show business. They won’t make or break me. I really didn’t feel like it was my design that sent me home.” Instead, she felt like being in the bottom the week before was what hurt her.

project runway

I tend to agree with her. The emerald tank that was criticized by the judges wasn’t crazy exciting, but it wasn’t elimination worthy in my opinion. Anthony Ryan’s oh so scary romper was a far worse design. I heart Anthony Ryan, so it hurts me to say that, but it’s true! Danielle’s response to being asked whether Anthony Ryan should have gone home for his outfit was simply “yes.”

project runway

Danielle also feels like not being as “dramatic” as some of the other designers might have contributed to her downfall. I questioned whether it was was difficult for her to find her voice among so many extroverted personalities and she responded that “being in a situation where I was completely out of control was difficult. I thrive on structuring my own time. I wasn’t able to reach my full potential. I wasn’t as inspired as I would like to have been. It was important to me that I appear professional. I’m a lot more fun loving in real life.”

So, although Danielle felt like she could have put forth a stronger performance, she doesn’t believe that it was her time to go. Her final words were, “I wasn’t embarrassed. Everything I made was not my best, it was not that bad either.”

So, there you have it. Do you agree with Danielle…Should Anthony Ryan have been sent packing instead?

project runway

And before I go…Can we talk about how FABULOUS Viktor’s moto jacket was? I want that little number in a BAD way! If you need a refresher…I recapped the entire episode over at Lifetime Moms!

p.s. Don’t forget to join us over at the Ebates Savvy Living Community at 9 PM EST tonight for a live chat on all things Project Runway! One lucky winner is going to walk away with a fabulous prize! Just sayin’.

Comments

I heart Anthony Ryan and agree that his garment this week was the worst, but I think that his work aside from this week was better than Danielle’s so in the end I was glad she went home over him.

Oh, that romper was AWFUL! But I’ve noticed that the judges tend to base their eliminations on past performance. And while I do love Anthony Ryan, I agree that based on his design he really did deserve to be eliminated.

And that leather jacket! I’m so buying it when it goes up for sale as part of Heidi’s collection :)

I agree with you, and Danielle, 100%!! I do adore Anthony Ryan, but his design was disastrous! It was definitely worthy of being sent home. He’s a decent designer, but come on, they ripped off J. Lo’s Met Gala dress for the first team challenge, then he makes a king camel toe romper. I completely agreed with Heidi’s argument that it should be based on the current runway look, period. Danielle was eliminated because she had prior “bad looks” according to Nina and Michael.
    Wow, I’m clearly opinionated! Anyways, Viktor’s jacket is to die for, and I hope it’s not too expensive when it’s available because I really really want it!
    I could go on and on and on, but I’ll save it for your live chat!!
    xoxoxo
    Lia

I also feel like Project Runway likes to keep a few characters with a strong story, and Ryan’s is much more of a story- he’s the “underdog”- a cancer survivor, AND colorblind? That’s like total INSTANT success story, especially for Lifetime… And they also like controversy- so I can already guess the top 4- Anthony, Josh M, Laura, and Anya. I love Anya but I feel like all her stuff looks the same- I mean how many rompers/maxis with a halter or racer back can you make before they notice you’re a bit one noted? As for Anthony’s stilt dress- I don’t feel like it was a complete rip off of the Jlo dress. I loved Danielle’s soft character, she seemed like a talented sweetheart. But for Project Runway? eh… I don’t think so. (Though I said the same for Gretchen (the talented but not for PR thing, she was a bit of a bitch!), and she won!)

@Elle, Funny…Anya is who Danielle predicted to win!

Sarah Reply:

@The BonBon Rose Girls, I love Anyas designs, but I don’t believe she just learned how to sew. I could be wrong, maybe she is a natural, but her stuff is way too good for a beginner. Even designers who have been sewing for years have the hardest time designing pants and the fact that she made pants so perfectly tailored out of a bed sheet the first week makes me skeptical. And the dress she made last week was way too perfect for someone who is just now learning to sew. I think she is using this to her advantage, but she brags about it constantly, I would think that would be a big red flag. It’s working for her though, she’s got the judges completely fooled.

When I interviewed Julie, she said the same thing about Anya’s sewing!

seriously, how did anthony ryan make it through with that romper?? it made the skinny-as-can-be model actually look heavy! but i’m with you – the winning outfit – love!

6. Alexandra keller says

The romper was not good, but I think Danielle was right to be professional. However a person is portrayed on the show could follow their entire career. And PR is, after all, a show, so the producers have a say, too, and need to keep making entertaining tv!

I really liked Danielle, but I agree her personality was not dramatic enough for the show. They tend to have very extreme personalities that will keep viewers wanting more (you know, it’s all about ratings) But I love it! And I would totally wear Danielle’s designs!

i was biting my nails the whole time…personally, i think this may have been the worst challenge for the designers ( the groups sucked!) and i think they are all so much more creative and talented when they work independently. I absolutely adore Anthony Ryan, so I am so so happy he stayed. But in all honesty, I think Bert should go home. His attitude is horrible!

Kailey Reply:

@Nuha, I can’t believe Bert was praised for his awful behavior! I thought the dress he presented wasn’t anything special either.

My jaw literally dropped when Danielle got the boot. I mean, granted she never stood out but she might have improved. I’m always so excited to see the next episode.

I am a bit surprised as well. I’m more upset that , that one chick (can’t even remember her name) would eliminate herself. She totally took someone else’s spot in the competition who really wanted it. Shame on her. :(

p.s. have a lovely day. :)

xoxo,
    Mel

Ahh I love the look Heidi wore to the track <3__<3! But I am really sad to see Danielle go – I truly loved what she had created in the past, and her menswear inspired pieces made me swoon. I guess Project Runway was just the wrong place for her, and I will look forward to what she does next!

Though I wasn’t crazy about her outfit, I have to agree with some of her remarks. I don’t think her outfit was horrific to warrant elimination this week, but I do think that her performance throughout the competition contributed to her being eliminated. I also think that you don’t have to have be an extrovert to win. You just have to be the best and most creative in these high stress situations. That doesn’t mean that the winner is the best designer either, just the one who can work best under pressure.

i was torn because i really like anthony ryan, but his outfit was soooo bad
    i never liked anything Danielle created, but her’s was better.
    i was so happy to see what’s her name leave
    she made me tired just looking at her!
    brett

Agree with you 100% – the romper looks depressing. mush worst than the emerald thing. The moto jacket is nice but seriously not that original either.
    p.s.
    Great blog dear! Really enjoyed reading it.

@Maria V, I tried commenting on your lovely blog, but couldn’t. : (

First of all poor Julie got shafted, I wasn’t crazy about her designs, but shouldn’t they have brought her back after what’s her name left (sorry I don’t remember all of their names), over the guy who went home what the second week? As far as Danielle goes though, I don’t think she should have gone, the top was not very flattering, but there were way worse. Anthony Ryan should have been eliminated and to be honest I can’t remember his previous designs. I just don’t think he’s been as memorable, I’ll remember him now though, I don’t think I’ll ever forget that romper. I also think there is an issue with age going on this season. Bert is kind of a grump I can totally agree with that, but I think he is a very talented designer. I kind of think he is often provoked though. A lot of the other contestants seem to be disrespectful towards both Bert and especially towards Becky, I think it has a lot to do with age. I love Becky, she seems like she would be a lot of fun, a free-spirit. I’m sorry but the guy who was in her group (have no idea what his name is) is a total jerk! It’s not a personality contest though, otherwise Danielle or Becky would win the whole competition. They may not be the best designers, but they seem to be the most genuine and the most down-to-earth. That’s not what the show is about though.

Very astute…Drama sells!