Humming for Hummus

Sorry, I just can’t resist titles like that!  Anywhoo…last weekend I received my latest issue of Real Simple.  When it arrives I basically flip straight to the food section and then read through the rest later.  There waiting for me was a recipe for 5 minute hummus.  I love hummus, especially fresh hummus, but I had never made it.  I knew it would be easy and a snack that we could eat through the weekend guilt free.  After all, I need something to balance out all that ice cream I’ve been feeding to my baby bump!  I was blown away by just how easy and delicious it was.  This might become the new weekend staple..

Step 1 – Throw a few ingredients into the food processor…

Step 2 – Hit the power button.  Doesn’t that look pretty!

Step 3 – Drizzle olive oil and paprika, serve with your favorite crunchies.

How easy it is that?!  Anyone else have a simple healthy snack for me?  I’ve been doing a LOT of snacking lately and could use some inspiration!

Here is the Real Simple recipe:

Ingredients

• 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste; optional) - I opted for no since I had none on hand, it was tasty without!
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, and ¾ teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
  2. Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving.

Megan

Comments

Hummus is SUCH a healthy snack…I love it with whole wheat pita- but veggies work too! I am actually surprised how easy it is to make too, I usually buy it pre made from the local markets.
    Thanks for sharing.
    C

Hummus is one of my favorite snacks, I can’t believe how easy it is to make! I am definitely going to have to try this one and maybe even subscribe to Real Simple. Some other healthy snacks I enjoy are Greek Yogurt, Fruit Smoothies using frozen berries and celery sticks with peanut butter. Happy snacking!

That looks delicious! my mouth is watering!
    funny how i can turn everything healthy to unhealthy. I’m imagining that with chips! hahhaha
    Lots of love
    simplycamylla.blogspot.com

We make that a lot around here. I use it on sandwiches in place of mayo- delish!
    I also like to throw in some roasted red pepper- SO GOOD! You can chop some up on top to sever too (for the pretty).

It’s worth mentioning that my baby also loves the hummus and has been downing it since about 9mo. of age. She’s a big fan.

Oh yeah other snack ideas….

I was way into the frozen treats:
    Freeze your own yogurt to nosh instead of ice-cream.
    Love dipping fruit in plain yogurt.
    Also love to eat frozen fruit- cherries, grapes, berries- it’s like a candy treat.

also loved nuts- almonds, cashews, pistachios- couldn’t get enough.

Yum, I love hummus! I’ve only made it a couple times before but it always tastes so much better than the store bought kind. And I’ve been wanting to make this Buffalo Chicken Dip I saw on Project Gadabout a while ago.