Master Bedroom Wall Decal

This is a story of a project gone awry, only to be resurrected into something pretty darn great.  But let me not get too far ahead of myself.  You see, for the past two years our master bedroom has been a slow work in progress.  And I’m sure it will continue to to be over the next two.  It just doesn’t rank high on the priority list, until that is I freak out over how I can’t take it anymore and get to work on it.  Last summer we finally tackled painting, and you can see here, the additional layer of curtains just two short weeks ago.  But le sigh, that wall above the bed was naked ya’ll.  It has been Miss Plain Jane for a looonnng time just begging me for some love.

Then I had this great idea!  Why not paint a large canvas a nice soft yellow and then layer tree branch wall decals over the canvas for an inexpensive piece of artwork?!  So that’s what we did.  We got a VERY large canvas from Michael’s (with a 40% off coupon I might add) and went to town.

I then worked with Belvedere, a previous sponsor of ours, to create a custom decal of tree branches to fit the canvas.  (Side note, they were great to work with and I highly recommend them.  I paid for the decal on my own so I promise there is no incentive for me to tell you that, just my own great experience!)

Here we are with the yellow canvas laying out the decal.

But wait.  The decal didn’t stick.  I was devastated.  I’m not sure if it was the paint or the canvas surface, but no matter how hard I tried, the decal was simply not having it.  And Belvedere had warned me that they had never heard of this great idea of mine.  Clearly I was going rogue.  And sometimes when you go rogue, there is risk involved.

Luckily, just as I was about to cry into my yellow canvas, Shelby suggested that we see what it might look like directly on the wall.  Worst case scenario was that if we didn’t like it we could take it down since its a decal.

So we activated the stick stuff and pressed it on…

and we wore hats and made goofy faces…

and in the end we think it looks great!  In fact, now that it is up I think the yellow would have been too jarring and that the white branches on the blue background make the perfect bedroom art.  Its relaxing and chic all at once (at least I think so).

Even Meatball agrees.

ps – messy bedside tables not included!

Megan

pps – If you have a chance, check out my hubby Floyd’s photo article from our time at Fallingwater on CNN.com!  So excited to see his pics and our amazing time there come to life!

Comments

Wow, the tree decal looks great – glad Meatball likes it, too! I will definitely check out the Fallingwater article. I remember your amazing pictures from your visit there.

Very nice! I do think it looks perfect. And, being in California, I’m super hesitant to put anything over my bed that might fall during an earthquake or other natural disaster. So decals would be perfect for me!

Still, I love the yellow color on that canvas and hope you use it somewhere else!!!

@Mary @ stylefyles, Yikes, no earthquakes here on the east coast but now I’m happy to know something heavy won’t fall on my head in the middle of the night. Decals DO sound perfect for you!

I so so love how this turned out and especially your story, it’s so true that the best laid diy plans often have a way of going a bit off course. But the end result is so much better! Great job!

xo Mary Jo

I love it! I think wall decals are the best because they’re inexpensive and can completely change up a room. My roommates and I used tons of them in college when we couldn’t paint or put too many holes in the walls!

what a bummer they didn’t stick on the yellow – the contrast with you blue walls would have been awesome — but i agree that they still look pretty striking on the wall and are such an easy way to add a unique graphic to your room!

Is that the West Elm bedding?? I’m going crazy trying to find the perfect white fluffy bedding! (really, my whole post was about it today). Do you like it?

@Kristin, It is from West Elm! I love thier duvet’s so soft and washable!

I’ve wanted to use decals in my own home, but le sigh! I have textured walls. Sooo, the decals won’t stick! The idea for the canvas was great, but I much prefer how it looks on the wall. Do you know what you’re going to do with the canvas?

@Trianna, No idea what’s in store for that canvas. Any thoughts?

Pretty- I love wall decals. What a great, inexpensive way to decorate!

I have some huge red poppy wall decals in my “kitchen” (and by kitchen I mean the wall in my studio apartment that has the sink). They totally brighten up the place and are great because I’m a renter.

It looks great! What a wonderful idea!

p.s. I think we have the same duvet cover :) is it from West Elm?

@iheartkiwi, We are total duvet twins! Don’t you love it!?

LOVES!!! we got a decal for my daughter’s room… an enormous dandelion. my husband convinced me that her walls were pink enough for the white decal to stand out. will end story here except to say… #fail.
    (it’s still up because it’s just too painful and sad to take down, hha)

@alyson, Oh that is sad. Perhaps a decal in a bolder more contrasting color?

Sharon Reply:

@alyson,

Leave the decal on while you paint the wall a different color that would contrast well with the original pink. Then remove the decal and have a pink painted tree on the new wall. The decal will act as a stencil while you repaint the room.

LOVE!! I LOVE the way this came out and agree that it looks much better on the wall. I am a huge fan of decals. they are inexpensive and make such a huge difference.

Lucia had branch decals with little birds in her first nursery. yours are much more grown-up and sophisticated than hers:) I love how big they are! we got her something similar to her old ones for her new room in the new place but haven’t put it up yet…it’s on the to-do for next week.